What is Rheumatology?
There are three common types of rheumatic conditions: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, and Psoriatic Arthritis. A physical examination by your doctor is the only way to determine which chronic condition you may have.
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) causes pain and inflammation in the joints of feet and hands, but it can also affect any other joint in the body. Psoriatic Arthritis (PA) is typically associated with skin psoriasis and causes fatigue, nail changes, swelling and stiffness in and around joints. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) is categorized as an autoimmune disease and it can affect organs, skin, and joints. It is a disease that constantly goes into remission, only to flare up again off and on. It is critical that these diseases be treated in order to keep the body’s immune system from attacking itself.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Chronic fatigue
- Pain that affects both sides of the body
- Joint pain and stiffness along with swelling and redness
- Morning stiffness that lasts longer than half an hour
- Women are at 10 times greater risk of being affected by Lupus than men
- Approximately 300,000 children up to 17 years of age suffer with Juvenile RA in the U.S.
- Statistics show that approximately 50 million people have a rheumatic condition in the U.S.
Please give us a call today at Torrance Pharmacy if we can be of any help regarding treatment and treatment options for your Rheumatic conditions.