What is HIV/AIDs
Human Immunodeficiency Virus is defined as a retrovirus that gradually causes damage to the immune system. A damaged immune system is not able to fight off infections or diseases, eventually leading to life-threatening illnesses such as cancer. It is important to note that HIV is found in blood, genital fluids, moisture in the rectum, and breast milk. HIV/AIDs is contagious. Although there is no cure for HIV, it can be controlled with proper medication and diet and antiretroviral therapy greatly reduces the contagious properties of the virus.
If you think you may have HIV, you will need to have it verified with a blood test. Some common symptoms include:
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Night sweats
- Mouth ulcers
- Recurring night sweats and fever
- Rapid weight loss
- Mouth sores, sores in genital or anal areas
- There are approximately 1.8 million children worldwide under the age of 15 living with HIV/AIDs
- There are approximately 36.7 million people worldwide living with HIV/AIDs
- HIV/AIDs is transmitted via sexual intercourse and needle sharing
- In the U.S. there are approximately 1out of 8 people who are unaware they have HIV/AIDs
Medications for Managing HIV/AIDs
Please give us a call today at Torrance Pharmacy if we can be of any help regarding treatment and treatment options for HIV/AIDs.